There are surely many flooring options out there as the world of flooring has evolved a lot. From simple tiles flooring to polyester, you will get a myriad of offers when you will begin the hunt for the best flooring in your house. But the one type of flooring that stands out from the crowd and that can be passed from one generation to another is wooden flooring.
The look, feel, and overall appearance of wood flooring is just amazing and this is the main reason why people opt for it without any second thoughts. Some people find the price of wooden flooring to be a bit expensive but the quality that you get with this type of flooring is just unmatchable. You will be surprised to know that dark wood floors of good quality can last for more than 100 years and no other flooring option comes even closer to this type of durability.
But in order to make your dark wood floors last for more than 100 years and that too with the same feel and touch, there are a couple of things that you will need to do and a couple of things that you will need to avoid.
Things to practice with dark wood floors
- You should always use a doormat at the entrance of your home as this will keep the dirt away from reaching your house. If you will let dirt enter your house through shoes and slippers then the feel of your hardwood floor will be hampered.
- Make habit of vacuuming and cleaning the wood flooring on a regular basis as this will keep your floor in the right shape and you will not have to deal with bigger maintenance issues. Just vacuuming and mopping will be enough.
- You will also need to keep the nails of your pet trimmed. It’s true that if you will buy dark wood floors then they will surely be pet friendly but the nails of your pet might ruin the overall finish of your wood flooring and thus it may hamper its overall appearance as well.
- If you are really serious about the maintenance of your wood flooring then you will need to surely invest in furniture pads. You should know that every time you will sit on the couch, it will move a little and this movement will hamper the quality of your wood flooring.
Things to avoid with wood flooring
- You should never use wet mops on your wood flooring as this will seriously damage your floor. There can be nothing worse than letting a huge amount of water sit on your wooden flooring for a longer duration of time. If you will let water sit on your wooden floor for more than one minute then it will start hampering its quality.
- Avoid using hot water while cleaning your wood flooring. Hot water will do the same damage as cold water if you will let it sit for more than a minute. Hot water can easily damage the overall finish of your flooring and it will also penetrate your wood flooring very easily.
- Don’t use any type of wax or oil on your wood flooring. People have abandoned the use of any oil or wax on their flooring long ago and you should do the same. There are different types of dark wood floors in the market and each one of them behaves differently to different types of treatment.
- Never leave damp towels or rugs on your wood flooring. Even if there is a small spill on your rug then you should immediately remove it from your wood flooring and let it dry outside the house. If you will allow moisture to grow below the rug then it can cause permanent damage to your wood flooring.
Maintaining the wood floor is not that hard as it requires very little maintenance. But if you will follow the dos and don’ts mentioned in this blog post, then you will be able to make the most of your wooden flooring without any hassle. So, buy your favorite wooden flooring, use the tips mentioned in this blog post, and make your house look opulent for many decades.