Studying for a PhD in the USA is a unique experience for most international students. Needless to say, it is also the most popular destination for doctoral studies. The fundamental difference is the US approach to education involving structured programs featuring comprehensive learning alongside independent research.
PhD in USA – Opportunities:
There are more than 4500 universities in USA where the more than a million international students throng for higher studies. Finding a suitable university to pursue a PhD is onerous for the fact that it is this level of education that USA shines through. A few tips could be of help.
- Look for the program and not the university alone.
- Do not differentiate between public and private universities.
- Check out on extra-curricular facilities for long living
- Make sure of the accreditations.
Another sensible option is to check the Carnegie Classifications of Institutions of Higher Education. It is very enlightening.
PhD structure and length:
The US PhD is vastly different and is based on an original research thesis, which is required to be presented and defended. However, this stage is reached by the student only after gruelling class sessions, assessments and exams. It determines the final dissertation topic of the student to pursue research. The usual time taken for a PhD in US universities is 4 to 6 years, with the last 2 to 4 years spent on the actual dissertation.
PhD application process in US universities:
Applying for PhD in USA involves the graduate process itself. The cardinal points to remember are:
- Availability of doctoral space is limited and hence intensely competitive.
- The process is holistic, but personal potential and promise play a vital role.
- You are required to develop your research credentials during the course of the program rather than rely on the previous.
Thus you will need to demonstrate that you are capable of developing your own research task.
It is only indicative as most US universities have their own norms and admission procedure.
- Academic Credentials: Apart from your grades, your work during UG and PG studies are important. This includes individual modules and grades in them.
- Personal Declaration: It is designed in such a way that you can establish a case for your interest in a particular program. You must include your extra-curricular achievements that will project you as an all-round personality to qualify your academic record further.
- Recommendation Letters: It is expected to be beyond mere references and contains clear recommendation in your favour for study.
- Test Score: Your graduate study in USA mandates passing of entrance test. Here it is no exception.
- Research Statement: It is meant to be a general description of the sense of research interest and proposed directions.
- CV: A comprehensive CV is essential for consideration.
The university will evaluate all the elements of your application, and your personal statement is valued greatly in juxtaposition to your glowing academic record.
Final stage of Admission:
The pattern of education in US universities is such that the graduate program effectively combines Masters and PhD study. Thus it is not necessary to possess a Master’s Degree for PhD in USA. However, a PG degree receives due credit, subject to an assessment of your university.
· Conversion to GPA: Your academic grades will be converted to GPA, a system followed by the US universities. The university will determine the GPA equivalent for you.
- Interview: Though it is not a norm, some universities may adopt the process to identify the right candidates for competitive programs.
- Decision: It is the outcome of your application – either you succeed or fail. The university informs you of the decision. Sometimes you may be waitlisted.
An American PhD is globally acclaimed for its quality. It is the culmination of rigorous academic pursuit alongside original research. A rewarding career is for the asking as a PhD from USA is the hallmark of intense skills and personal development.
Check out fees, eligibility, scholarships and accommodation details to study Phd of Science in USA at https://studyabroad.shiksha.com/usa/phd-of-science-colleges-cl